Sunday, December 14, 2008

I'm Clingy.

Sure, there are much more interesting and substantial things I could be writing on either this blog or my other blog. I would like to rant about how I never EVER want to use a sanitary napkin again and explain in semi-detail as to why, how kind of frustrating it is on several levels that MOCA, as much as I love the place, basically got a Get Out of Jail FREE! card with the Broad "bailout," my ode to pop-up foil, or even the awesome weekend helping out at a really great event. But I won't do anything of the sort. Instead, I shall write a meme.

Some time ago, the City Elf tagged me to do one entitled, 7 Things About Me You'd Not Likely Guess. I'm actually at #6 now, which is pretty good, although my follow-through is a bit slow.

It's not very obvious that I do this but come to think of it, it makes sense. I'm not really one to want many earthly possessions, but when I want something, I really really want something. More often than not, I don't get it, but when I do, I love it. I REALLY love it. Those things that I really REALLY love I wind up taking with me everywhere for a good amount of time until I realize that sometimes it's not to logistically sensible to do so.

I don't do this exclusively with things I've been pining for, but when someone gives me something that I wind up falling in love with, the same thing applies. I become like a little kid with a brand new toy, and the new item and myself are virtually inseparable.

Kind of like when I got my first Lomo LC-A. I paid a pretty penny for that one, as I bought it new and overpriced at Samy's, but I was in a bit of a rough spot and on a Good Friday, I decided to use my day off and take the trip to the Mid-Wilshire area through traffic just to get this camera. But when I got it, I LOOOOVED it. I loved the smell of it. I loved the way the switch moved when I switched the cover from the lens and the viewfinder on and off. I loved every little thing about it. I slept with it under my pillow. It was always in my purse. It was beside me when eating a meal. If course, I was taking lots of pictures with it and took pictures of everything for the first...oh, month (that also cost a pretty penny with the film + development), but it was just a wonderful time.

Most recently, I got a popcorn maker for my birthday. I LOOVED that thing. I kept it in my car to make sure I was always able to make popcorn whenever I wanted. I took it to my friends' house to I can make popcorn for them. I offered to bring it to parties I went so I can make popcorn for others. Though it didn't stay under my bed, I did keep it in my room next to my bed for those first few weeks with it...I loved it.

Now I got a Christmas present early from my sister, and I've wanted to take it with me everywhere I go. The most I've done for work is keep it in the car, because I know that if I took it in with me, I'd surely look through it all day and dream about making books.

It's probably I didn't wind up buying anything for myself this weekend at the event. I'm sure that no matter what it be, whether a new wallet (I DIDN'T buy...) or a piece of art, I'd want to bring it with me just so I can marvel at its awesomeness, and with this rain, toting a piece of art wouldn't have been too cool...

No comments: